About Us ~ History
San Diego County is a mecca for those who love the outdoors. From our beaches to our wooded forests to the arid desert, San Diego County and the communities that comprise it feature an extensive network of multi-use trails. These multi-use trails are used communally by equestrians, bikers, hikers and dog walkers.
However, with growth and progress a gradual eroding of the trail system began. While environment protection is legislated, recreational protection is not. San Diego's trails are being closed under the claim of environmental impact and permitting of new real estate housing and business development. More and more we are fighting just to keep our trails open rather than being able to use and enjoy these trails that are an integral part of San Diego history and culture.
We know that recreational use can co-exist with environmental concerns and planning can involve the creation/co-existence with a vibrant trail system, as long as this planning doesn't occur in a vacuum without input from the trail-using community. With this in mind, San Diego Trail Alliance was formed.
The Mission of San Diego Trail Alliance is comprised of three main goals:
1. To Keep trails open for all multi-use trails
2. To foster good communication between all user groups, the community and governmental entities.
3. To Maximize use of recreational facilities for all user groups.
Working with this mission statement in mind, we seek to be both a resource and a voice representing the trail-using community.
When we talk about the values of SDTA, we need to know in general what values are. Values are important to the way we live and the work we do. Our values determine our priorities and are the measures we use to determine our success. The values we embrace for San Diego Trail Alliance are:
1. Professionalism: Accountability, courtesy, dependability and timeliness.
2. Honesty: Integrity, fairness, diversity and openness.
3. Practicality: Results oriented and supportive.
4. Compassion: Supportive, positivity, community, helping society, understanding and unity.
5. Excellence: Creativity, making a difference and vision.
The actions, decision making and involvement of SDTA are based upon these values. They are the core of the organization and can be relied onto sustain the integrity of the San Diego Trail Alliance organization.